Please select from
the list below or the links on the right.
|Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) is a purple granular powder
that kills 99.9% of exposed pathogenic bacteria, kills most ciliate
parasites, most fluke parasitisms, fungal infections and oxidizes organics
in the water, leaving it cleaner and fresher than before treatment. Not many
products have such a broad spectrum and can be used in extremely cold water.
For flukes you should treat every third or fourth day for three or four
For ciliate parasites you should treat every day for five treatments.
Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) is a powerful oxidizer clears many
ciliated protozoans, flukes, fungi and bacterial infections. Dosage and
interval are critical. Use caution and dose carefully, avoid contact with
skin, eyes or mucous membranes. Bypass filter and increase aeration and
circulation. Can be neutralized with dechlorinator or hydrogen peroxide.
Full details with product.
The presence of large amounts of organic debris, uneaten food, dead fish,
leaves, dead plants will cause the potassium permanganate to spend it's
energy on oxidizing the organics, not on the parasites or ulcers.
The presence of dechlorinator in the water will inactivate the treatment.
(Latency 2 days)
The presence of Hydrogen peroxide will inactivate treatment. (Latency 3
Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) can kill a lot of algae, increasing
oxygen demand, especially in warm water over eighty degrees.
If carelessly overdosed, it will kill your fish. It also kills 99.9% of
exposed beneficial bacteria so you're advised to avoid letting it pass
through your filter.
is regulated for transportation and all shipments and packaging
specification must be according to the regulation.
Parasites are by far the most common
problem with fish health. If the parasites don't kill the fish the
complications they cause will. Gill flukes introduce bacteria while
destroying the gills of the fish. All parasites can do damage to the skin
allowing bad bacteria to penetrate and cause secondary complications such as
bacterial infections. There are several types of common parasites. Most
all cannot be seen by the naked eye. These include Ick,
Flukes & Trichodina. If a
mucus scraping is performed and the mucus put under a microscope you can see
these little creatures moving about like crazy! Fish Lice (Argulus)
and Anchor Worm can be seen without a microscope
if you look closely. So can Ick when it's in an advanced stage. Parasites
are also very easy to get rid of.
This is a high-risk product that has caused
many fish deaths due to accidental overdose by not knowing the correct
amount of gallons being treated and suffocation due to low dissolved oxygen
|Using Potassium Permanganate to treat koi ponds, water gardens
Using potassium permanganate can and does kill fish. Trust me, I
have killed many fish in my early ponding years by not fully
understanding just how Potassium Permanganate works.
It is very important that you read through the
following and understand exactly what you are doing and why you are
doing it. A much better over all solution to a dirty pond, is
a bigger filter, regular water changes, less fish, siphoning off the
bottom or vacuuming at least every week or so.
|But if You Must You Must . . .
If you follow these directions to the "letter" you
will not have any problems. DO NOT INCREASE THE DOSAGE FOR ANY REASON!!
The following treatment will kill algae and dissolve
organic matter (uneaten fish food, leaves, mulm etc). It is safe to use
with pond plants and fish, so do not remove these from the pond
Plan to do this treatment while you can stay right by the pond the
entire time. Should the fish start "gasping" at the surface, immediately
add hydrogen peroxide. If you walk away and the fish get in trouble you
may come back and find that they are all dead. I am very serious about
this!! You MUST watch the fish at all times!!! The fish will begin to
move close to the surface as the treatment progresses, and that is ok.
They may occasionally come up to the surface for air, and that is ok
I am talking about all of the fish gasping hard at the surface. If
this happens immediately add the hydrogen peroxide.
x Add potassium permanganate at the rate of one TEAspoon per 1,000
gallons. MEASURE VERY CAREFULLY. Do not get this in your eyes, or on
your skin. Stand down wind so there is no chance that you will breathe
in the dust from it. Potassium Permanganate is a very strong oxidizer.
I'll give you a couple of hints in addition here:
|The Water Needs to Stay an Honest Pink for 8-10 Hours.
|If you have any question about color, fill a white five gallon
bucket of water with pond water and stare at it in full sunlight. Still
can't tell if its pink? Add five drops of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) There
should be a *radical* color change. No color change? Then the water
isn't really pink and you need to add more potassium permanganate. Ponds
which have a high load of organics can eat-up a lot of potassium. Be
warned. Your first couple of doses may only last a few minutes before
they turn yellow or brown. Keep hammering on it.
|Aerate, Aerate, Aerate!
|This is no joke. You need to have every possible bit of aeration
happening and you want to keep it happening for at least 8 hours after
the PP treatment is over. Potassium permanganate can drop the O2 content
in a warm pond by quite a bit. We don't want this to happen when your
fish is already oxygen-stressed.
|Keep Hydrogen Peroxide on Hand at All Times!
|Hydrogen Peroxide instantly terminates the effects of potassium
permanganate in an emergency. If the fish start to crash, add hydrogen
peroxide using 1 quart for 5000 gallons of water. Do not overdose with
the peroxide!! Measure CAREFULLY. The treatment will grind to a halt in
about 60 seconds (given good pond circulation). H2O2 instantly
decolorizes the pond after treatment so you can check on the fish. It
also adds a bit of oxygen to the water as well. If your fish starts to
crash, remove him to a separate container and add 1 cc of hydrogen
peroxide per gallon of water . He should rally in under an hour.
|Bypass the Biofilter.
|PP will sterilize your biofilter in about 10 minutes flat if you
don't bypass it. The biofilter may experience a bit of a stumble in warm
weather, but this isn't usually a problem. If you can rig a small pump
or air stone inside your biofilter, this would be ideal.... but not
critical. At this point the fish is the primary concern.
I'd like to see you accomplish the potassium permanganate treatment
(above) TWICE over the course of a week. Ideally, you'll wait 2 days
|As the Algae Dies, the Water Will Turn Crystal Clear.
|This should happen over the course of 8 to 10 hours. The dead algae
will drop to the bottom of the pond. You need to siphon this "stuff" off
the bottom of the pond a sludge remover to the pond to help it break
down of your pump is not big enough to remove it to your filter. If your
pump and filter is big enough to remove the dead organics, make sure you
clean your filter every few hours
Distributors of scientific and educational products
Where to buy?
Most pictures are linked to
the pricing and online store for fast and convenient ordering
Our products are available at the following
online stores. For large orders please call in advance and verify the
availability, wholesale discounts and shipping options. If you cannot find any
product in the online store of your choice, please use the search option of the
store or call (973)777-3113 for further assistance.
All orders will be shipped from our
warehouses in United States (USA), Canada or United Kingdom. We ship worldwide
to most countries including U.S., Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, New
Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, and many other countries.
List of metals for science experiments